Saturday, July 2, 2011

Item #1. Write a Best-seller

OK. So I am not that hung up on my writing be a bestseller. Just doing it means a heck of a lot more to me than trying to make it this way or that. My job is to get it out of me!

I just bought a nice little book by Bryan Cohen called "1,000 Creative Writing Prompts" for my lovely delightful Kindle.

I just want to keep writing. Writing itself is the goal. I have attempted two NaNoWriMo challenges and ended up miserable both months. Having a time-frame didn't motivate me. I am not motivated by goals. (This was a recent discovery!) So I am just going to enjoy the process.

I feel pretty sure that just getting it out of me would be a good enough first step. If something emerges out of the body of typed up stuff, great. If not, I would still have a lot of fragments to play with and I can live with that.

Aight. Back to the reading table then.

Going to pick one writing prompt for today. See where I land...

4 comments:

  1. For me the 'idea' of writing is great...the 'physical act' of writing sucks. I have diaries from 20 years ago that I'm still trying to form(write) into proper text. The process continues..
    Good luck to you and your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi kendell! thanks for joining! :-) what kind of 'text' or 'context' do you want to give to your 20 yr old diary entries??

    yeah... the act of writing... totally sucks... especially when my writing brain and editing brain work together. i have a very critical editing brain... so i have to learn how to shut it up... so that my writing brain can continue without any interruption.


    good luck to you too!! and enjoy Today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for the late reply.. 'life'...ya know!
    so with my diaries i'm kinda mixed, i wrote them when i was in my early 20's, now i'm 43(good lord!), i want them to relay the feeling of my youth, how i was thinking at that time. some of my, or rather most of my entries are rather foolish, vacant of details, and void of emotion..but mentally i remember those days as being full of details and emotion, so i want to add those details in. i want to keep my perspective as a young 20 year old but add some prose as a 40 year old.
    make sense?
    like so many things...work in progress! cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry for the late reply.. 'life'...ya know!
    so with my diaries i'm kinda mixed, i wrote them when i was in my early 20's, now i'm 43(good lord!), i want them to relay the feeling of my youth, how i was thinking at that time. some of my, or rather most of my entries are rather foolish, vacant of details, and void of emotion..but mentally i remember those days as being full of details and emotion, so i want to add those details in. i want to keep my perspective as a young 20 year old but add some prose as a 40 year old.
    make sense?
    like so many things...work in progress! cheers :)

    ReplyDelete